Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fourth of July, Mom's Birthday (Lucille Merrick) Camping during 1999-2003

The photo on the left is Mom at the Las Vegas NM KOA campground. On the right is a photo of the new travel trailer that Mom and I used in 2000.

July 4, Today was Mom's birthday and one of my favorite memories of the Fourth of July was when Mom was camping with me in my little travel trailer. After my late husband had passed away, I traded in the old family travel trailer for a newer, smaller updated one. While I always struggled at hooking the trailer up, it seemed that Dallas or Byron would always be close to come help with that part. Mom and I took the trailer up to the Las Vegas NM KOA campground and would park it for a week or so about four different times between 1999 and 2003. Once we were there during her birthday and it was a really special time and I think she enjoyed it as much as I did. During those years when Mom and I were camping, either, Byron, Dallas, or Stephanie would be working out at Camp Blue Haven, so we would always try to get the same spot on the campground. I would drive back into the mountains to Camp Blue Haven for evening activities, and Mom would wait back at the trailer. We became friends with the camp manager/owners of the campground and they always seemed happy to see us coming.
We had fun camping, Mom and me and enjoyed visiting with the other "RV and camper folks" --and just walking around the beautiful trails between the campsites. I think Mom enjoyed the daily outdoor breakfast pancakes which were all you can eat for about $3. Such special memories time spent with her! While we always tried to get as many of the family together as we could every Fourth of July, I think the year we were at the KOA was my favorite. I would try to take her as many places as possible there in the area of Las Vegas:Pecos National Monument, Sad Monkey restaurant, Santa Fe Plaza, Taos Pueblo, Las Vegas Bird Sanctuary, Montezuma Castle and more. She always enjoyed sitting out in the lawn chair at the campground and reading her books. ---2010 still wishing you a happy Birthday, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment